The liver is the largest organ. It helps in digesting food, removing toxins, and storing of food.
There are many types of liver disease, including:
- Viral diseases: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C.
- Diseases caused by controlled substances or poison
- Fatty liver disease—fatty tissue build-up, inflammation, and liver cell damage
- Cirrhosis—liver scarring
- Liver cancer
- Inherited diseases:
- hemochromatosis—iron build-up in your body
- Wilson disease—copper build-up in your body
Symptoms of this digestive disorder can vary. Typically, symptoms include jaundice—yellowing of the skin and eyes—abdominal and leg swelling, color changes in stool and urine, and frequent bruising.
Occasionally, no symptoms will appear. Liver function tests and imaging tests find liver damage and allow your doctor to diagnose any liver diseases.